As a parent, you are your child’s first teacher. You can help your children learn more about nutrition and establish healthy eating habits. Helping your children understand the importance of reading the Nutrition Facts Label on the back of food packages is important. It’s a tool for making healthy food choices they can continue to utilize as they grow.
How to Use the Label
The first thing to look at on the Nutrition Facts Label is the serving size. One package might contain multiple servings, like a box of cereal or bag of chips. Consider the calories, any food with more than 400 calories per serving is high and 100 calories or less is a more healthy option. To make healthier food choices you will want to look for food lower in trans fats, saturated fats, cholesterol, sodium, and sugars. Food with higher daily values (DV) of potassium, fiber, iron, calcium, and vitamins A & C are a more healthy option.
Helping Kids Make Smart Choices
When your kid is choosing a snack, challenge them to measure out what they think is one serving. After that measure out for them what the actual serving size is so they can compare and see the difference. Check the Nutrition Facts Label on foods and measure out single servings. Put each serving in an easy-to-grab container for your kids!
Use the teachable moments in your everyday activities to help your children make healthy choices. Establishing healthy choices today will encourage healthy habits throughout their lives.
We invite prospective parents to drop on by any of our preschool locations nationwide and see why Childcare Network is more than just a day care.
Childcare Network currently operates schools near you in the states of
- Alabama (Alabaster, Anniston, Gadsden, Huntsville, Opelika, Phenix City)
- Arkansas (Benton, Bryant, Conway, Little Rock, Maumelle)
- Florida (Crestview, Destin, Ft. Walton Beach, Gulf Breeze, Lynn Haven, Navarre, Panama City, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Valparaiso)
- Georgia (Albany, Athens, Augusta, Carrollton, Chatsworth, College Park, Columbus, Conyers, Dacula, Decatur, Duluth, East Point, Evans, Forest Park, Griffin, Grovetown, Hampton, LaGrange, Lawrenceville, Locust Grove, Macon, Marietta, Martinez, McDonough, Milledgeville, Norcross, Pooler, Ringgold, Savannah, Smyrna, Snellville, Statesboro, Stockbridge, Union City, Valdosta, Warner Robins, West Point)
- Kentucky (Georgetown, Lexington, Nicholasville)
- North Carolina (Archdale, Arden, Asheville, Belmont, Burlington, Charlotte, Clayton, Cornelius, Durham, Elizabethtown, Elon, Fairview, Fayetteville, Fuquay - Varina, Garner, Gastonia, Greensboro, Havelock, High Point, Jacksonville, Jamestown, Kernersville, Leland, Lewisville, Matthews, Monroe, Morehead City, New Bern, Raleigh, Sanford, Southport, Swansboro, Wilmington, Winston Salem)
- Oklahoma (Edmond, Oklahoma City)
- Tennessee (Chattanooga, East Ridge, Hixson, Ooltewah)
- Texas (Arlington, Burleson, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Denton, Duncanville, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, Haltom City, Irving, McKinney, Sunnyvale, Watauga)
- Virginia (Bristol, Richmond, Roanoke, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg)