Each month, two books are selected for our Childcare Network classrooms with the goal of promoting literacy and character development in conjunction with our HighReach Learning Curriculum. These books are carefully selected by our education specialists to use a variety of experiences to connect emerging language and literacy with social-emotional development.
This month, our Infant through 2 year old classrooms are reading Making Faces by Abrams Appleseed. Bird wakes up feeling grumpy. This bold, beautiful board book introduces five essential expressions: happy, sad, angry, surprised, and silly. Each is introduced with a large image of a baby's face. Children can use this image to mimic the face, then pick it out from a group of other babies. A mirror is also included in the book so children can watch themselves make any face they please!
The 3 year old to school age classrooms are reading One of Those Days by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Sometimes life just doesn’t seem fair. Have you ever had a day when your favorite pants shrunk in the wash? Your best friend was being a beast? You were too short to go on the best ride? No one would listen to you? Well, take heart—you’re not alone. Everyone has one of those days sometimes. And even if you have a hard day, at least there’s a bright side—a brand-new day is waiting for you tomorrow, and you can laugh at those days when they’re over.
Stayed tuned for some more reading fun! Along with each book, several book-related activities are provided to reinforce the social-emotional skill. Follow-up questions are also included as well to assist with reading comprehension.
We invite prospective parents to drop on by any of our preschool locations nationwide and see why Childcare Network is more than just a day care.
Childcare Network currently operates schools near you in the states of
- Alabama (Alabaster, Anniston, Gadsden, Huntsville, Opelika, Phenix City)
- Arkansas (Benton, Bryant, Conway, Little Rock, Maumelle)
- Florida (Crestview, Defuniak Springs, Destin, Ft. Walton Beach, Gulf Breeze, Lynn Haven, Navarre, Panama City, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Valparaiso)
- Georgia (Albany, Athens, Augusta, Carrollton, Chatsworth, College Park, Columbus, Conyers, Dacula, Dallas, Decatur, Duluth, East Point, Evans, Forest Park, Griffin, Grovetown, Hampton, Hiram, LaGrange, Lawrenceville, Locust Grove, Macon, Marietta, Martinez, McDonough, Milledgeville, Norcross, Pooler, Ringgold, Savannah, Smyrna, Snellville, Statesboro, Stockbridge, Union City, Valdosta, Villa Rica, Warner Robins, West Point)
- Kentucky (Georgetown, Lexington, Nicholasville)
- North Carolina (Archdale, Arden, Asheville, Belmont, Burlington, Charlotte, Clayton, Cornelius, Durham, Elizabethtown, Elon, Fairview, Fayetteville, Fuquay - Varina, Garner, Gastonia, Greensboro, Havelock, High Point, Jacksonville, Jamestown, Kernersville, Leland, Lewisville, Matthews, Monroe, Morehead City, New Bern, Raleigh, Sanford, Sneads Ferry, Southport, Swansboro, Wilmington, Winston Salem)
- Oklahoma (Edmond, Oklahoma City)
- Tennessee (Chattanooga, East Ridge, Hixson, Ooltewah)
- Texas (Arlington, Burleson, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Denton, Duncanville, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, Haltom City, Irving, McKinney, Sunnyvale, Watauga)
- Virginia (Bristol, Richmond, Roanoke, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg)