Photo source: Food.com
These simple pies use ham as a base instead of pastry, keeping fat levels down and making them very quick and easy to make. Use a good quality ham with high-meat, low water content.
- Olive Oil
- 4 thin slices of good-qualityham
- 4 free-range eggs
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly brush four cups of a deep muffin pan with oil.
- Arrange a slice of ham in each cup, overlapping the sides where necessary.
- Carefully trim the top of the ham slices to make them even but leaving the ham slightly above the edge of the tin.
- Crack an egg into a bowl, then drop it into a ham lined cup; repeat with remaining eggs.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the eggs are cooked thoroughly.
- Let cool slightly, then lift out the "pies" with a palette knife. Let cool completely.
Make in advance and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Keep chilled until ready to eat.
Eggs are rich in brain-boosting choline, which is used to produce the neurotransmitter acetycholine, which is shown to aid memory.
Recipe Source: The Top 100 Recipes for a Healthy Lunch Box by Nicola Graimes