Each month, two books are selected for our Childcare Network classrooms with the goal of promoting literacy and character development in conjunction with our HighReach Learning Curriculum. These books are carefully selected by our education specialists to use a variety of experiences to connect emerging language and literacy with social-emotional development.
During the month of June, our Infants through 2 year old classrooms are reading Little Monkey Calms Down by Michael Dahl. Little Monkey is having a bad day. After a major melt down, he goes to his room and uses some coping techniques to calm down.This book is a great way to start conversations and introduce feelings words to the children.
The 3 year old to school age classrooms are reading Today I Feel Silly and Other Moods that Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis. Jabari is definitely ready to jump off the diving board. He’s finished his swimming lessons and passed his swim test. He’s a great jumper, so he’s not scared at all. “Looks easy,” says Jabari, watching the other kids take their turns. But when his dad squeezeshis hand, Jabari squeezes back. He needs to figure out what kind of special jump to do anyway, and he should probably do some stretches before climbing up onto the diving board. This is a great story to share with the class when talking about overcoming fears.
Stay tuned for some more reading fun! Along with each book, several book-related activities are provided to reinforce the social-emotional skill. Follow-up questions are also included as well to assist with reading comprehension.
We invite prospective parents to drop on by any of our preschool locations nationwide and see why Childcare Network is more than just a day care.
Childcare Network currently operates schools near you in the states of
- Alabama (Alabaster, Anniston, Gadsden, Huntsville, Opelika, Phenix City)
- Arkansas (Benton, Bryant, Conway, Little Rock, Maumelle)
- Florida (Crestview, Defuniak Springs, Destin, Ft. Walton Beach, Gulf Breeze, Lynn Haven, Navarre, Panama City, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Valparaiso)
- Georgia (Albany, Athens, Augusta, Carrollton, Chatsworth, College Park, Columbus, Conyers, Dacula, Dallas, Decatur, Duluth, East Point, Evans, Forest Park, Griffin, Grovetown, Hampton, Hiram, LaGrange, Lawrenceville, Locust Grove, Macon, Marietta, Martinez, McDonough, Milledgeville, Norcross, Pooler, Ringgold, Savannah, Smyrna, Snellville, Statesboro, Stockbridge, Union City, Valdosta, Villa Rica, Warner Robins, West Point)
- Kentucky (Georgetown, Lexington, Nicholasville)
- North Carolina (Archdale, Arden, Asheville, Belmont, Burlington, Charlotte, Clayton, Cornelius, Durham, Elizabethtown, Elon, Fairview, Fayetteville, Fuquay - Varina, Garner, Gastonia, Greensboro, Havelock, High Point, Jacksonville, Jamestown, Kernersville, Leland, Lewisville, Matthews, Monroe, Morehead City, New Bern, Raleigh, Sanford, Sneads Ferry, Southport, Swansboro, Wilmington, Winston Salem)
- Oklahoma (Edmond, Oklahoma City)
- Tennessee (Chattanooga, East Ridge, Hixson, Ooltewah)
- Texas (Arlington, Burleson, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Denton, Duncanville, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, Haltom City, Irving, McKinney, Sunnyvale, Watauga)
- Virginia (Bristol, Richmond, Roanoke, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg)