Each month, two books are selected for our Childcare Network classrooms with the goal of promoting literacy and character development in conjunction with our HighReach Learning Curriculum. These books are carefully selected by our education specialists to use a variety of experiences to connect emerging language and literacy with social-emotional development.
This month, our Infant through 2 year old classrooms are reading Now I Am Big! by Stephen Krensky. This book celebrates the feats of growing out of babyhood and starting to embrace the world on babies’ own terms. Whether it’s being tall enough to reach a high shelf or brave enough to splash in the waves, celebrate the small victories that come with growing just a little bit older.
The 3 year old to school age classrooms are reading When Sophie's Feelings Are Really, Really Hurt by Molly Band. Everyone's feelings get hurt, and it's especially painful in childhood. In this story, Sophie is hurt
when the other children laugh at her and tell her she is wrong. The issue is about a painting of her favorite tree. Sophie loves it, but her picture is different from the paintings done by the other students. “Your picture is wrong!” they tell her. In the end, the students learn there are many different ways to interpret the world -- and each other. This is a simple story that tackles the common issue of hurt feelings as it gently helps us to be more kind.
Stayed tuned for some more reading fun! Along with each book, several book-related activities are provided to reinforce the social-emotional skill. Follow-up questions are also included as well to assist with reading comprehension.
We invite prospective parents to drop on by any of our preschool locations nationwide and see why Childcare Network is more than just a day care.
Childcare Network currently operates schools near you in the states of
- Alabama (Alabaster, Anniston, Gadsden, Huntsville, Opelika, Phenix City)
- Arkansas (Benton, Bryant, Conway, Little Rock, Maumelle)
- Florida (Crestview, Defuniak Springs, Destin, Ft. Walton Beach, Gulf Breeze, Lynn Haven, Navarre, Panama City, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Valparaiso)
- Georgia (Albany, Athens, Augusta, Carrollton, Chatsworth, College Park, Columbus, Conyers, Dacula, Dallas, Decatur, Duluth, East Point, Evans, Forest Park, Griffin, Grovetown, Hampton, Hiram, LaGrange, Lawrenceville, Locust Grove, Macon, Marietta, Martinez, McDonough, Milledgeville, Norcross, Pooler, Ringgold, Savannah, Smyrna, Snellville, Statesboro, Stockbridge, Union City, Valdosta, Villa Rica, Warner Robins, West Point)
- Kentucky (Georgetown, Lexington, Nicholasville)
- North Carolina (Archdale, Arden, Asheville, Belmont, Burlington, Charlotte, Clayton, Cornelius, Durham, Elizabethtown, Elon, Fairview, Fayetteville, Fuquay - Varina, Garner, Gastonia, Greensboro, Havelock, High Point, Jacksonville, Jamestown, Kernersville, Leland, Lewisville, Matthews, Monroe, Morehead City, New Bern, Raleigh, Sanford, Sneads Ferry, Southport, Swansboro, Wilmington, Winston Salem)
- Oklahoma (Edmond, Oklahoma City)
- Tennessee (Chattanooga, East Ridge, Hixson, Ooltewah)
- Texas (Arlington, Burleson, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Denton, Duncanville, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, Haltom City, Irving, McKinney, Sunnyvale, Watauga)
- Virginia (Bristol, Richmond, Roanoke, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg)