Ugh Oh... it's 2 p.m. and those afternoon cravings are starting to kick in. What do you reach for: candy bar, potato chips, or cookies? How about one of these yummy protein bars?! If you find yourself amidst the afternoon junk food frenzy or if your New Year's resolution involves cutting back on sweets this, my friend, may be your solution. While these chewy bars are healthy and super easy to make, they are delicious and sure to be your new favorite mid-day snack. The recipe below serves 10, which makes it perfect to share with family and friends... or to stow away for those relentless cravings throughout the week!
- 2 cups dry cereal (Cheerios work well)
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup smooth nut butter of choice (Peanut butter is fine)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (can use honey or agave, but add 1 extra tablespoon)
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Line a baking tray with wax paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix your cereal with your protein powder until combined.
- In the microwave or stovetop (low heat), melt your nut butter with your sticky sweetener and then pour the mixture into the protein cereal mix and stir until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into the lined baking tray and press firmly into place. Top with chocolate chips if desired and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up. Alternatively, freeze for 10-15 minutes.