We all know that water is essential to sustain a healthy life. It carries all those nutrients you eat to your cells and acts as a coolant for your organs.But even knowing all of this, most people still don't drink the suggested amount of water daily. Remembering or even being thirsty enough to drink 60-90 oz of water everyday is not as easy as it sounds, but it's one of the most important health and fitness changes you can make to your daily routine. We've gathered some exciting and fun ways to get you on track for your daily water intake and have also included some delicious recipes to liven up the taste of your H2O.
Tips for drinking more water:
- Phone Apps for tracking your water intake. Waterlogged is a popular one and the basic version is free! You can set daily timed reminders so while you're busy living life, your phone can remind you to stop and hydrate throughout the day. You can also track water on the fitbit app, myfitnesspal, weight watchers, and other health tracking apps.
- Each time you drink a glass of water, remove a band. You know all those silly bands your child has? Grab 8 - 10 of those or rubber bands and wear them on your wrist. This will help remind you where you are at with your water consumption.
- Use a straw. This may sound silly, but it actually helps to drink water faster.
- Bring a gallon of water to work. A full gallon is equal to 16 cups. If you drink half of the gallon, you'll be well on your way to 8-10 cups each day. Mark the half way point to help you visualize your consumption.
- Splurge on a fun water bottle. Your new accessory will help remind you to drink water while you're on the go. There are hundreds of different designs, brands, and functions today that you can buy, or even design your own.
- Challenge a friend. Every time we mention that we need to drink more water, someone chimes in with "me too". Make it fun and see who can drink the most water each day for a month. The person who wins can get that brand new water bottle they have been eyeing!
- Always order water at a restaurant and drink the entire glass before your meal gets there. Not only will this help you reach your daily water intake goals, it's a great tool for weight loss. When you drink water, it creates a sense of fullness, so you won't be tempted to eat as much.
- Use water to reward yourself. Want to order dessert? Considering one more cookie? Make yourself drink 12 ounces of water before hand. Not only will this make you feel better about your decision, but it may even curb your craving.
- We want to introduce you to Agua Fresca. We're sure you've heard of naturally flavoring your water with fruit. We LOVE doing this. There are hundreds of recipes on the internet and pinterest available to you, including some on how to freeze fruit in ice cube trays so that you can add it to water on the go. In Mexico, ague fresca is hugely popular. Agua de Frutas, meaning fruit water, is very refreshing and a great alternative to store bought juice or soda. Most fresca recipes use a sweetener in addition to fruit, you can choose to opt out of this and still have a delicious drink, or use a natural stevia, honey, agave nectar, or coconut sugar.
Recipes for Agua Frescas:
If you are trying to cut down on soda, substitute a little water with soda water in your recipe to create a carbonated version.
1. Watermelon Coconut Aqua Fresca - 3 lb seedless watermelon, 2 tbsp lime juice , 4 cups of coconut water, (ice optional)
2. Kiwi Agua Fresca - 6 kiwis, 1 large cucumber, 6 cups of water, 4 tsp of sweetener
3. Honeydew Raspberry Fresca - 1 honeydew melon, 1/2 cup sweetener, 5 limes, 1 cup raspberries, 4 cups of water
4. Cantaloupe, Honey & Mint Agua Fresca - 1/2 cup honey, 4 cups of cantaloupe, 1/2 cup lime juice, 2 tbsp fresh mint, pinch of salt, 2 cups water